Friday, November 14, 2008

But God Never Fails

I love daily devotionals (the short kind). I have a couple I look at every day. One of them is an e-mail devotional with a couple of verses and a prayer from the Moravian Church of America. You can subscribe to it at their website.

This was today's daily text:

When Job's three friends heard of all these troubles that had come upon him... they met together to go and comfort him. They sat with him on the ground seven days and seven nights, and no one spoke a word to him, for they saw that his suffering was very great. Job 2:11,13

Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. Romans 15:2 (NIV)

O Savior, thank you for being our comforter, healer, and friend when we suffer. We desire to follow your example by loving our neighbors when they suffer. We ask that you grant to us your wisdom and the strength of your love for this task. Amen.
I think God chose that daily text ahead of time just for me. Because He knew that I would need it. Because my frustration yesterday at my inability to do something for my friend was not what it was all about. It was about loving my friend. And sometimes loving someone who is suffering is all about listening, not judging, and letting the other person know that you are suffering with them, too. And it's not about loving them in our own power. It's about loving them with a love that comes from God.

No comments: