Soon afterward, Jesus went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went along with him. As he approached the town gate, a dead person was being carried out—the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the town was with her. When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, "Don't cry."Then he went up and touched the coffin, and those carrying it stood still. He said, "Young man, I say to you, get up!" The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother.
They were all filled with awe and praised God. "A great prophet has appeared among us," they said. "God has come to help his people." This news about Jesus spread throughout Judea and the surrounding country. - Luke 7:11-17
I read this passage a couple of days ago and I keep going back to it. When I get to the end, all I can think is "That's what I want!" Perhaps I should explain. In this passage, Jesus has compassion on a woman, reaches out in power to alleviate her pain (and raise someone from the dead) and everyone begins to praise God.
God gave me a compassionate heart. My heart goes out to people all the time. But I usually feel like all I can do is offer a sympathetic ear. I feel powerless. Jesus was not powerless. He was full of power. His heart went out to this woman in such a way that He reached out in power and raised her son. I want to be so full of the Holy Spirit, that I can reach out in power to help people.
Immediately upon having thoughts like that, though, my mind starts reeling. Am I allowed to want that? Is it okay to want more of the power of God? What are my motives? The reality is that I want people to know God's power. I want people to see amazing things, to experience amazing healing, to know who God is, and to go around saying "God has come to help His people." That's what I want. Is that wrong? I don't know, but it's where my heart is right now.
I want to be able to move in God's power, to see others move in God's power, and to see new people recognize and respond to that power.
Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. - John 14:11-14
No comments:
Post a Comment