I want to be valued,
pursued
connected
part of something.
That deep longing, the deepest longing of my soul, because it is extraordinarily deep and strong, can with just the slightest movement become a demand. Instead of simply longing for oneness, I begin to demand it. The longing becomes a gnawing hunger.
You must meet my expectations.
You must give me what I need.
You must love me.
You must fill the hole I have that is crying out to be one with someone, with something.
Henri Nouwen writes about the pure longing for unity in his book Life of the Beloved
Don’t you think that our desire to eat together is an expression of our even deeper desire to be food for one another? Don’t we sometimes say: “That was a very nurturing conversation. That was a refreshing time”? I think that our deepest human desire is to give ourselves to each other as a source of physical, emotional, and spiritual growth. Isn’t the baby at its mother’s breast one of the most moving signs of human love? Isn’t “tasting” the best word to express the experience of intimacy? Don’t lovers in their ecstatic moments experience their love as a desire to eat and drink each other? As the Beloved ones, our greatest fulfillment lies in becoming bread for the world. That is the most intimate expression of our deepest desire to give ourselves to each other.Nouwen's beautiful vision of the purity of our desire for oneness is sadly not the reality of most of our relationships. Too consistently, we move from that purity to demanding that other's fill us, feed us. I've read Life Together
Human love is directed to the other person for his own sake, spiritual love loves him for Christ's sake. Therefore, human love seeks direct contact with the other person; it loves him not as a free person but as one whom it binds to itself. It wants to gain, to capture by every means; it uses force... Human love makes itself an end in itself. It creates of itself an end, an idol which it worships, to which it must subject everything.You must love me. This gnawing hunger within me demands satisfaction, and I will eat you until you have nothing left to give. How many of us have felt the other side of this?
That person drains me.
I just can't do this relationship anymore.
Please stop asking me. I can't give you what you want.
I have nothing left to give.
It is heartbreaking. It is exhausting. It drives us to shallower and shallower forms of connection with other people. Because going deep is draining. Going deep is painful. Going deep means I will be chewed up and spit out.
Please don't eat me. Or I will eat you.

1 comment:
Today I have felt down...I feel like my earthly relationships are all a bit empty at the moment...I'm a bit detached from the kids, and I don't have any close relationships other than with my husband.
He is beautiful, don't get me wrong...and being married has shown me how I don't NEED the other relationships to be particularly edible (smile)...he and I are truly one, and I celebrate that, even in times like this when I am not as intimate with him as I would like.
But today, instead of a pep talk (which I specifically requested :), he referred me to two books from Sacred Scripture: Ecclesiastes and Song of Songs. Ecclesiastes because "all our human works," as he said, "are just reaching in the wind." Song of Songs because "it shows us just how passionately God pursues us."
In the past, I have not really seen that side of God in Song of Songs, or I just couldn't relate, even though it has been interpreted that way by the Jews and by the Catholic Church in its Holy Traditions ...you'll recall that I wrote extensively on it from a very human perspective in a past blog. But today I reread it from the perspective of being the Shulammite. The imagery is so earthy...the passion is so bodily.
I really get that, in regards to what you write about...that I hunger for God to feed me with His Body and Blood...and to know He desires that for us as well...wow. This summarizes the whole of my spirituality while here on earth. Until the day that I am face to face with Him and finally completely united with Him, I can still feast on Him in Holy Communion. He's so perfect, so beautiful.
Post a Comment