Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Truth in Any Way

Toward the end of 2008, there was a big controversy over a worship song from Planet Shakers. It was supposed to have been written by a man about his struggle with cancer, only then it was revealed that he had never had cancer. The song was removed from the album and Christians around the world fought and bickered and cried over the disappointment. It is a beautiful song.

I believe You're my Healer
I believe You are all I need
I believe You're my Portion
I believe You're more than enough for me
Jesus, You're all I need

Recently, I ran across a verse from Paul that made me pause and think of this song.

It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. - Philippians 1:15-18

What does it matter? The important thing is that in every way... Christ is preached. I wonder how often we refuse to recognize the preaching of Christ because it does not come from a "right" place. We judge people's motives and then we discount their words based on our judgment. But truth is truth is truth, whether it is spoken from right motives or false and whether the speaker believes it or not.

What if we miss the truth because we are too busy wondering about the heart of the speaker--too busy judging? What does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ [the Truth and the Light] is preached. And because of this, we ought to rejoice! Do we rejoice when we see Truth, no matter whence it came?

1 comment:

Mindy Goorchenko said...

Wasn't it the case that this songwriter actually struggled with a pornography addiction? I found it very poignant that he wrote it, in spite of his lie about the cancer. Clearly, he still had and has sin like we all do, yet look what he managed to assert in the midst of it all. Very beautiful.